A difficult question to give a quick answer to! There are a number of different variables that factor into the cost.
- How large is your star ceiling?
- How’s the ambient light? Do you need to install room darkening blinds?
- Do you need to install a drop (suspended) ceiling?
- Are you using acoustic panels for your star field?
- What star density would you like? (ie: How many stars per foot?)
- Would you like just one sized star, or would you like a mix of sizes? If so, what diameter filaments would you like to use?
- If you’re installing multiple sized stars, what are your ratios? And which star size is your heaviest ratio?
- Will you be using Fiber Optic Single Strand Filament, Multi Strand Cable or a combination of both?
- What type of illuminator will you use? Do you need more then one illuminator?
- Would you like the stars to be just white, or would you like to be able to change the color of your star ceiling?
- Would you like an illuminator with a twinkle effect?
- Would you like an illuminator with a remote control?
- How far is your illuminator from the edge of the actual ‘field of stars’?
- Do you need to wire an outlet for the illuminator?
So you see, the cost is going to be different depending on your installation perimeters and preferences.
As another example: For the star ceiling that we created with the Make A Wish team back in June of 2012 (click here for the Make A Wish project details.)
- The star ceiling size was 10′ x 12′.
- The illuminator was housed in the adjacent closet, approx 5 feet from the star field.
- We needed to install an electrical outlet in the closet.
- We planned on approx 8 Stars per foot.
- We had one size star (.25mm) – we used 200 feet of our 64 strand cable.
- We used the LLE-003 illuminator – this unit has a twinkle effect and a remote control.
- We used over 13,000 feet of .25mm filament and created over 900 total stars. – BTW we make it astrologically correct. 😉
- The total cost for the 207 feet of fiber optic cable & illuminator was $403
All that said ~ We’d love to help you accurately calculate the amount of fiber optic filament that you’ll need to create your own personal indoor universe!