Which diameter of fiber optic filament should I use?
Our Fiber diameter options range from .25mm through 3.0mm.
The thicker the fiber diameter, the more light it transmits.
- Click here for a pop-up window with more specs on the fiber optic filament.
- Click here if you would like to obtain a small sample pack of the fiber we carry.
The decision on what diameter fiber optic filament to use in your star ceiling depends on:
- How much ambient light in the room?
- The brightness of your light source. (illumination)
- The effect you’re attempting to achieve.
- What is your budget?
Ambient Light: We define “Ambient Light” as: All light in the room that is competition with the star ceiling. Ambient Light can come from several sources.
- Outside windows.
- Lamps and room lighting.
- Light entering from halls and other rooms.
- Televisions and “glowing” electronics.
In a home, the type of room that features a star ceiling, tend to be dimmer than a standard room. (ie: home theaters and bedrooms.) therefore ambient light is not an issue. That said, most of the fiber diameters mentioned will work, providing that you have a bright enough illuminator.